Call for Quilts:
Total Eclipse of the Quilt!
To celebrate the Total Solar Eclipse happening across the United States, April 8, 2024, The Quilters Hall of Fame (TQHF) is calling for mini-quilts that reflect the excitement, share the beauty, or explain the science of the Total Eclipse. Entries will be juried and those chosen will be showcased in an exhibit at The Quilters Hall of Fame in Marion, Indiana and will be eligible to win a cash award.
- Entries must fit the definition of an art quilt as defined by SAQA: “a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure.” Any embellishments must not be fragile, must be securely attached, and must be unable to penetrate the mailing envelope, or to damage other quilts when stacked. No glitter.
- Size of quilt must be 18” x 18”.
- Entry fee: Up to two quilts may be submitted for $45. $35 for members of TQHF. Entries will be accepted through Entrythingy, a digital call for entry website.
- Required for entry are the title, artist’s name, contact information, up to 4 photos (maximum file size 500mb), an artist’s statement (350-500 characters), insurance value, and photo credits. Jury decisions will be based on the photos you submit. Make sure photos are high quality and represent your work well. Your artist’s statement could include techniques, materials and/or inspiration. Your work will be insured for value of materials unless you have a professional appraisal. By submitting an entry, you give permission for TQHF to publish your photos.
- If chosen for the exhibit, quilt must have a 4” hanging sleeve and a label bearing the title, maker’s name and contact information. Quilt must be able to be folded to fit inside a 19.5 x 12.5 United States Postal Service Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope for mailing. Please also include with the quilt another of the Priority envelopes self-addressed for return shipping. We will pay the return shipping fee. In person drop offs and pick-ups will be accepted during museum hours, Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 4pm at 926 S Washington Street, Marion, IN. Quilts included in the show will be judged by Barbara Triscari for cash awards. Quilts must arrive at TQHF by March 23, 2024.